Monday 25 November 2013

Kale Vegetable Soup



Gluten & Dairy Free Kale Vegetable Soup


The turnip that arrived in the November Good Food Box put me in mind of an amazing turnip soup I had at the Sheraton Hotel in Saint Johns Newfoundland.  I was there on an international adoption and foster care convention.  There was a formal dinner the first evening and we were service a clear broth turnip soup.  At that point in my life I did not really like turnip but one taste of this soup and I was hooked. 

I tried numerous times while we were at the hotel to get the recipe without success.  All the chef would say was that the broth contained whiskey.   In the intervening 18 years I have forgotten what else the soup contained though I have thought about the soup many times.

So with the arrival of two turnips I went in search of soup recipes.  The first recipe I found was on the food network Portuguese Kale Soup by Rachael Ray.  We had successfully grown kale in pots this summer and the use of Kale and Turnip together intrigued me. All of the turnips soups that were not creamed followed a very similar formula to Rachael Ray’s.

 Here is what we have called “Gluten & Dairy Free Kale Vegetable Soup” a very hearty winter soup packed full of favour. You maybe wondering why I used cooking sherry instead of whiskey - we did not have any whiskey in the house.  I also Googled cooking sherry and gluten and found that while sherry is made from grains the distilling process removes all of the gluten.  

              Raw Turnip Food Facts


Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
157 kJ (38 kcal)
8.62 g
4.46 g
2.3 g
0.16 g
1.08 g
0.09 mg (8%)
0.04 mg (3%)
0.7 mg (5%)
0.16 mg (3%)
0.1 mg (8%)
Folate (vit. B9)
21 μg (5%)
25 mg (30%)
43 mg (4%)
0.44 mg (3%)
20 mg (6%)
0.131 mg (6%)
53 mg (8%)
305 mg (6%)
0.24 mg (3%)
                   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutabaga
                                        
Source

 Kale and Turnip Soup

1 Tablespoon of coconut oil
3 large cooking onions
4 cloves of garlic
One turnip dices
Two large carrots dices
1 large potato dices
2 tablespoon fresh thyme
2 Bay leaves
2 tablespoons fresh parsley
540 ml White Kidney Beans
796 ml Diced Tomatoes
½ cup cooking sherry
4 cups vegetable broth
  1. Dice the onions and garlic and sauté them in the coconut oil until the onions a clear 
  2. Add the vegetable broth 
  3. In cheese cloth add the bay leaves and fresh thyme and add this to the vegetable broth
  4. Chop the fresh parsley and add to the soup 
  5. Add the tomatoes and the vegetables 
  6.  Simmer until the vegetables are just about done to your liking 
  7. Add the sherry to the hot soup and cook for 10 minutes more.
  8. Salt/Pepper to taste
Serve Hot

Grandma Snyder

No comments: