Tuesday, 24 June 2014

Red Lily Beetles

Red Lily Beetle

 Lily Beetle (Lilioceris lilii) or Red Lily Beetles have taken over our lilies and the invasion seems to have happened almost overnight.  
Lily damage caused by Red Lily Beetles

There are many chemical treatments we can use and all will be harmful to our grandchildren who love to help us in the garden.  This necessitated us finding a healthy to human alternatives.

We were offered numerous formulas by friends and neighbours two of which we had ready access to all the ingredients.

Red Lily Beetle and damaged plant

The first was to cut up rhubarb leaves and boil them in water, allow the water to cool and then spray on the affected plants.

The second was to dissolve  baking soda in water then mix with dish detergent and canola oil.  We had been looking for a way to reuse the canola oil we used in cooking the rollkuchen on Father's Day so this was the option we went with.


It has been three days since we soaked our lilies in this canola mixture and we have not been able to find any live Red Lily Beetles on our plants.  We will repeat the treatment for another two weeks every five days.
Red Lily Beetle and damaged plant

When you garden with (grand)children it is important that you consider both what you put in your soil and on your plants as little hand and mouths love working in soil and eating straight from your garden. 

Grandma Snyder

©2013-2015 twosnydergirls

No comments:

Life Captured In Moments

Life is lived through small moments that gathered together create a life time. What we choose to see, feel, express in these moments ...