Monday 13 May 2019

Who is visiting our bird feeder?


Cold wet weather finds me sitting at my desk writing, watching the birds and one squirrel dine at our new bird feeder.



One of the unintended consequences of the type of feeder we purchased is that the smaller birds are dinning dry and protected from the prevailing wind.



We placed a plastic tray under the feeder and it is from here the larger birds and squirrels have been feeding.  


Black squirrel

During a break in the rain we went out and found the tray ½ filled with water.  

To fix this we thought we would drill drainage holes and on further consideration we will be emptying the water daily and in the summer fill it each morning with fresh water for the birds as small animals to drink from.

Black squirrel

We also discovered that aside from the Robin we do not know the names of the birds who dropped by today, so to remedy this we will purchase a bird identification book.  

Can someone point us towards a good one?


The air over the past few days has been filled with bird song and yesterday I was captivated by the concept of depicting bird song in a photograph.  

What does bird song feel or look like?  

How would you represent bird song in a photograph?

Robin

Some of the images that I thought of were;
 children blowing bubbles that are floating on the wind currents, 
dandelion seed floating on the wind
 and rain drops falling softly on a leaf.

booklet with amounts and samples

Today I started setting up for my next knitting project a doggy coat for Toaster and I had the opportunity to pull out my yarn book.  

About 2 years ago I made two floor pillows and stuffed them with yarn, a great storage idea.  

Knowing that out of sight out of mind I would forget what yarn the pillow held, I cut a small piece of each colour and type of yarn in the pillows and placed them in a small book which I promptly misplaced. 

I found the little booklet in my marathon cleaning of the craft room the other day and  I was able to find two skeins of the right type of yarn today.

Now I intent to add  all of the yarns in my craft closet to my book and this time make sure I do not misplace it!

Fish and rice

Lupper was fish and rice one of our favourite meals.

Making Oatmeal Chocolate Chip and Raisin
Click to be directed to the post with recipe 

And finally being Monday night our granddaughter is over and helping us make cookies for the coming week.

 Grandma Snyder
©2013-2019 twosnydergirls



2 comments:

our awesome travels said...

You have bird seed out you will have lotsa birds and squirrels as well they will keep you bust and entertained. I just enjoy the birds, no names. red, blue, yellow, grey, black they are all pretty to watch. Then you have red squirrels, brown , black and grey as well. Enjoy the wildlife.

Barbara said...

I have "A Field Guide to the Birds East of the Rockies" by Roger Tory Peterson. I recommend https://ebird.org/explore as on online resource. They also have apps for mobile phones.