Thursday 18 April 2019

Walking through life when wanting to run!

Goat behind a fence
Let me out please.
Epiphany’s catch us by surprise, cause physical pain as it wretches open truths hidden and sends the wind of change through life.

I was asked by a dear friend today what I am enjoying about retirement, where I am finding joy.

Bleeding hearts struggling to live in cold weather
Bleeding hearts in our garden are struggling against a cold spring.
Paul, my family, crafting, camping all ran through my thoughts and then came good old epiphany and my answer to her rang with soul wrenching truth  “nothing.”

You see I knew joy and a passion for life prior to my retirement and since retirement life has not contained the same joy or passion, the colours of my life while still there are muted, no longer bright.

Making muffins
Tuesday we baked muffins together

I described how I prepared for retirement by creating a vision board of the things that bring me joy or that I have always wanted to do, never having time.  

That I am using the vision board to begin to put a life together for myself.

I am walking through life when what I want to do is run.

Tracing pattern pieces
Tuesday we also sew together this is the
beginning of  her semi formal dress.

Epiphany was not done with me and the second punch came when I heard myself and said “… if I can walk I know I can run I just have to let it happen”

My belief prior to retirement that I would not enjoy it was getting in the way of my ability to find joy and passion.

Walking Elli to the barn
Thursday we are at the horse barns sharing our
granddaughter's love of all things horse
.

And that I need to honour my truly overwhelming struggle with the lack of structure, lack of focus, by the sheer ability to do what I want when I want retirement has presented me with.

How crazy is that?!

Thrift towels to clean Elli
Today we went thrifting for our granddaughter towels to clean Ellie with.

With this knowledge the harsh mother voice in my head screamed 
“Get over yourself, your life is privileged in ways that most of planet can only hope for...” 

And with my friends silent support the harsh mother lost it's voice and a plan to find joy again began to form.

Out for lunch
Today I connected for the first time since retiring in January 2019
with a friend at work.
For those of you that know me it will not surprise you that my  plan is to write about my epiphanies from today and through my writing create a path on which I can run past the cloud of depression that hovers above me back into the sunshine.

Spring is about swollen riivers
While in Owen Sound we completed some running around
and drove down by the habour where spring high water
is very evident. 

Grandma Snyder
©2013-2019 twosnydergirls






3 comments:

our awesome travels said...

Sad that you do not enjoy retirement, we love the freedom we have, able to constantly be in the move , seeing new places and scenery, spending more quality times with family and friends, meeting new people. The outside fresh air and constant changing seasons in our travels. Works wonders for us.
But retirement is not for everyone.Find your joy and go with it.

Grandma Snyder said...

Thank you for taking the time to comment - I believe that I still need time to figure out retirement - love your blog

our awesome travels said...

Glad you enjoy the blog, we had a plan all figured out before we retired/quit work, Travel all the time, avoid the cold winter weather, and see new sights, meeting new people, visit family and friends, keep the tires turning and this just keeps on happening. Everyone does retirement differently though, find you niche and go with it.