Sunday 20 August 2017

A house of prayer for all peoples


Motivated by a serious health issue I steadfastly observed the rules of a highly restricted diet and six weeks later as a result, the health crisis had resolved itself.  In the months that followed slowly I stopped following the rules I did not like knowing that if I needed to I could just become observant again.

I mention this piece of personal history because as I pondered the scriptures for this week it kept coming to mind.

How many Christians place greater importance on observing the rules and regulation of their religion rather then in God’s gift of unconditional love for us.

I observed the rules as long as it suited me and I failed to have faith in the healthy lifestyle that the restrictive diet offered because I knew that should I get sick again well all I had to do was get back on board - not so with our spiritual health.

How many Christians believe that all they have to do is start following the rules again and salvation is theirs.

God is very clear on this point that following rules and observing the regulations of any religion is not what will save you in the end.

Salvation is a gift offered to those with the faith to accept it as the free will offering that it is.  

Faith that accepts that there is nothing any human being can do on their own to deserve it – it is what it is unconditional love offered freely to all humanity equally.

Faith is not about what we do or don’t do it is about what we think, feel, and then offer out into our world.

Matthew 15 speaks about how following the rules does not make or break your faith it is what happen in that very private place, your mind, your heart your soul.



Grandma Snyder
©2013-2017 twosnydergirls

Lectionary readings: Isaiah 56:1, 6-8; Psalm 67; Romans 11:1-2a, 29-32; Matthew 15:(10-20) 21-28; Luke 13:10:17

No comments: