Saturday 17 December 2016

Christmas Peanut Butter Crisps


One of the many memory treasures we have come across in the distribution of Great Grandma’s earthly belongs has been a plastic bag stuffed full of handwritten recipes.  The recipes are not written on new sheets of paper, they were written on scraps of paper recycled into recipe cards and these windows into Great Grandma’s life are a treasure equal to the recipes themselves.

Christmas is almost here so we decided to start with an easy none bake recipe, one with ingredients we had on hand.  This recipe did not have a title and taking some literary licence Emily has titled them Peanut Butter Crisp.


This recipe has been written on a Dear Reader advertisement for Maclean’s magazine.  As a child I can remember this magazine sitting on the side table beside my mother’s chair in the living.  The large photographs on the covers capturing my imagination.  As I hold this yellowed piece of paper a memory floods over me and I share it with our granddaughters.  I am sitting on the hardwood floor captivated by the Maclean’s cover picture a skydiver which resulted in an afternoon of imaginative play.  I am that skydiver and for the rest of that afternoon I jumped from airplanes, tumbling in the air until I am caught by the wind and soar high above the earth in search of wonderful things.  With a smile I can remember my father calling upstairs “what is all the jumping about?  Nothing Dad I reply” and continue my play.  I was jumping from my bed onto a soft landing of blankets and pillows.

I have googled Maclean’s magazines and found the issue that resulted in that wonderful day it is the December 2, 1964 cover and was 8 years old.

 Christmas Peanut Butter Crisps
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups Rice Krispies
  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 1 cup icing sugar
  • 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
  • Candy sprinkles


Directions:
  1. Mix everything together except for the sprinkles in a large bowl. 
  2. If you are working with children butter their hands and let them have some fun mixing.
  3. Form into small balls (again children love doing this)
  4. Roll the balls in the candy sprinkles
  5. Refrigerate for one hour and eat. 
  6. Store in a container in the refrigerator or a cool area of your home.
From Our Table to Yours 

Grandma Snyder

©2013-2016 twosnydergirls

No comments: