Sunday 7 August 2016

Our Soul Waits


Being at church this Sunday was the last place I wanted to be.  

It was too hot, I had a headache and just did not want to be in church – I wanted to do nothing with no one! 

And because the love of my life was dressing to attend the service with a smile on his face and expectation in his step I too got up from my bed and readied myself for church.

I was not and had not been mindful of what the shared worship experience in our small Mennonite church could mean to me.  

Hebrew 11:15 “And if indeed [I] had been mindful of [ the wonder, praise and glory experienced there I] would have [expectantly embraced] the opportunity to return.

It was when we sang that my spirit soared and knew the nearness of heaven – that I once again became mindful of power of the experience of shared worship.

Thus it was that today I learned the lesson of this week’s scriptures in a very personal and intimate way.  

In our busy lives it is too easy to stop waiting and expecting God’s presence.  

To think I almost did not go to church and how my life would have been diminished by that one act.

Be mindful to look for God’s blessing in your life.

Seek God’s presence in each moment of your day, name it, know it so that you can find your way back in times of darkness and trouble.

Know that it is our Father’s good pleasure to give you all the glories of the kingdom, if we but remember the way. 

Grandma Snyder
©2013-2016 twosnydergirls


Lectionary readings Genesis 15:1-6, Psalm 33:12-22, Hebrews 11:1-3, 8-16, Luke 12:32-40.

No comments: