Some of best recipes are born out of necessity and just as this tomatoes paste recipe did. Christmas Day was to have been a spaghetti dinner at the request of my mother and as life will have instead my sister and her husband drove up from the city to spend Christmas Day with her, she has such a nice visit with them.
Having Mother and Great John for Sunday dinner has become a wonderful family routine and when we asked what she wanted for dinner she said spaghetti.
2015 produced an abundant tomato crop to the point that we had given up on canning them and resorted to freezing them whole and so we set about making our own spaghetti sauce. The result was a full flavoured tomato sauce and the end to us purchasing spaghetti sauce at the store!
We used gluten free paste making this a gluten free meal without anyone knowing but me :)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- One large onion chopped
- 8 garlic pressed garlic cloves
- 2 quart jars of whole tomatoes or 24 fresh tomatoes, skins removed.
- 2 5.5 ounce cans of tomato paste
- 3 Tablespoons of fresh basil chopped fine
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon of sweetener we used blue Agave syrup
- 3 Tablespoons of your favourite Italian spice mix - we use Epicure Bolognese
- In a large sauce pan sauté the onions and garlic in the olive oil until the onions are translucent
- Add to this the tomatoes coarsely chopped, tomato paste, basil, sweetener, lemon juice and spice mix.
- Simmer for three hours if the sauce becomes too thick add water or vegetable broth – stir frequently.
From Our Table To Yours