Potluck dinners are a great place to try out new recipes and that is exactly what we did when we made what we call Turkey Cabbage Casserole.
Now we brought over half of this dish home not because of the taste but because I had no idea so many people find digesting cooked cabbage a problem.
Cabbage is such a healthy vegetable packed full of vitamin C, antioxidants, beta-carotene, and so much more.
It you like a bite of heat add more cayenne pepper and it you do not want heat eliminate it all together. We use basmati rice in all of our rice dishes because we like the nutty flavour and because it holds its shape – does not become mushy.
Turkey Cabbage Casserole
- 12 oz of ground turkey
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Small green cabbage
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 4 cups cooked rice
- Cook onions, celery and ground turkey until meat is cooked
- Cut the cabbage into wide strip
- Add cabbage to the meat pot and stir cook until cabbage starts to wilt
- Stir in tomatoes, sugar, vinegar and salt and bring to a boil and then to a simmer for 10 minutes
- In a 9 x 12 pan spread out the cooked rice
- Layer the cooked turkey and cabbage
- Serve immediately or place in the refrigerator and when ready to serve
- Place in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes
From Our Table to Yours