Sunday 13 September 2015

Sustain the Weary With A Word


What word is so powerful that it will sustain the weary? 

This question has travelled with me all week as I prepared to write this post and it remains unanswered.  
Even more troubling is the James 3:6 passage that is part of the lectionary reading for today and thus informs the first question.

“even as a spark set the forest on fire so the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.”

This word cannot be just any word for it runs the risk of doing just the opposite of sustaining the weary it can defeat them!

To come to some form of an answer I reflected back to times in my life when I was soul weary unable to find my way.  

At the darkest times I realized the word spoken was not spoken by a human voice.  

It was a silent human presences, a touch, the silent tears of a friend sitting vigil with me, the strong hug on a doorstep at the death of child.  

The words my soul heard was “I am always with you” and I felt my God near me, present in the human beings silently being present to my pain.

Allowing God to use them in sharing my pain.

Grandma Snyder

©2013-2015 twosnydergirls

No comments: