Sautéed Summer Squash on a Bed of Swiss Chard
We have an abundance of Yellow crookneck squash in our ThreeSister Garden and because this type of squash is meant to be eaten while still immature we are experimenting with it in many of our favourite recipes.
In searching the web I came across this great publication with some interesting recipes I hope you enjoy it.
For this gluten and dairy free recipe you will need:
- Swiss Chard 3 cups uncooked per person
- 4 yellow summer squash cut into ¼ inches slices
- 3 cups of mushrooms of your choice also sliced
- 2 tablespoons Coconut oil
- ½ inch of fresh ginger grated
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- Prepared your vegetables and set them aside
- In a deep frying pan with a lid add the coconut oil and mushroom, garlic, ginger, squash and sauté until the mushroom are cooked to your liking and you can smell the ginger – do not place the lid on the frying pan.
- Now add the Swiss chard and place the lid over the frying pan DO NOT STIR. Check every few minutes and once the Swiss chard has turned bright green the dish is ready to serve.
- Divide the Swiss chard among the plates to be service adding the mushroom and squash on top.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
I hope you enjoy this as much was we have.
There is an added benefit of gardening with children they will try new food if they helped grow it.