Friday 25 October 2013

Take Back the Night Owen Sound, Ontario



Take Back the Night Sisters in Spirit -2013

Owen Sound, Ontario

 “…many as 2-3 Aboriginal women or girls are reported missing or murdered every month somewhere in Canada; NWAC believes this number to be much higher. In March 2010, NWAC released research findings that included data on 582 missing or murdered Aboriginal women and girls; the number has since increased to 668 indicating that the problem has not decreased and that there is a continuing need to track occurrences.” (Native Women's Association of Canada, n.d., p. 30)


I sang, prayed and walked with women, children and men who believe that women and girls have an entitlement to be safe from, sexual violence in all its forms. 




The program opened with traditional drumming and the Aboriginal women singing “The Strong Woman Song”








The young Aboriginal women then sang to us about our right to be strong.


When I was younger people told me
it was wrong to be strong.
Now I am older I’m taking it back
I’m taking it back.


When I was younger people told me
it was wrong to be strong.
Now I am older I’m taking it back
I’m taking it back.

When I was younger people told me
it was wrong to be strong.
Now I am older I’m taking it back
I’m taking it back.

When I was younger people told me
it was wrong to be strong.
Now I am older I’m taking it back
I’m taking it back.

When I was younger people told me
it was wrong to be strong.
Now I am older I’m taking it back
I’m taking it back.
When I was younger people told me
it was wrong to be strong.
Now I am older I’m taking it back
I’m taking it back.

When I was younger people told me
it was wrong to be strong.
Now I am older I’m taking it back
I’m taking it back.


Joachim Ostertag spoke about the women and the stories they told him on his Change the Cycle solo bike ride from Owen Sound Ontario to Vancouver BC. Joachim rode to change the cycle of male violence towards women. 

Change the Cycle








We are your mothers, sisters, grandmothers, aunts, wives and friends stand with us against violence and walk in your local Take Bake the Night.
Add your voice to the song

When I was younger people told me

it was wrong to be strong.

Now I am older I’m taking it back

I’m taking it back.


Grandma Snyder


Native Women's Association of Canada. (n.d.). Press Release - For Immediate Release NWAC Calls on All Canadians to Report Suspicions Regarding Missing or Murdered Persons. Retrieved from Native Women's Association of Canada: http://www.nwac.ca/press-release-immediate-release-2013-10-24-en



No comments: