Tuesday 6 February 2018

Day one accepting help


As you grow older one of the things you cling to is your independence because you know that society is not kind to a dependent senior.  

You lose the ability to decide what you’ll have to eat as meals on wheels brings you whatever was planned for that day, everyone worry’s over you, they question all of your decisions, and too soon your life is over taken by loving family invading your home and controlling your life.

Today is day #1 of grandpa’s great venture as he travels to Victoria BC to visit our youngest son and today I came down with a very bad cold.  You know the type where you sneeze constantly, have a dry cough, your nose runs at the most inappropriate times, oh and don’t forget when you cough, well your bladder lets go just a little bit - not pretty however very real.  
I thought that I was doing ok right up until 5:30 pm when the fever hit and I just could not get warm.

Many of you will know Tuesday night is our night to go to our grandson’s home where we have supper together and watch some TV.   I was looking forward to our Tuesday nights right up until noon when I realize I could spread the germs, so I called and gave them the option of saying “Not tonight grandma.”

So it was that I started planning to have scrambled eggs, toast, followed by a hot bath and early to bed and this is when I got the phone call.  

Our grandson’s family had decided to bring my portion of supper to me.  “I’m coming over it with soup and homemade bread.”

My first reaction was to say don’t put yourself out when I realized some homemade soup and bread would be wonderful and I really didn’t have the energy to do any cooking myself.

Independence isn’t about doing everything for yourself!  Independence is knowing what you can do, what you can’t do and seeking or accepting help graciously.  
Independence is building trust within your family that you know your limits and will ask for help - that is independence.  We are all interdependent and this is the strength of belonging to a family and a community.

The soup was amazing and well, two pieces of Dianne’s homemade bread as always delicious.

I was in bed by 7:30 pm Grandpa called to say goodnight.  It is good to be interdependent – to belong to a family.
Grandma Snyder

©2013-2018 twosnydergirls

February 6, 2018


No comments: