Sunday 27 August 2017

Be Transformed


When trouble is all around you what do you do?

Most people look around for help or a pathway out of danger.

Others begin by crying out ‘Oh God’ or ‘Oh God why me’.

For those who cry out in faith God is there to save.

“…trouble is all around me, but you keep me alive … with your powerful right hand you save me.” Psalm 138:3

God’s response to us is twofold. 

The first is too strengthen our faith in the face of trouble, calm our spirits, allowing us to find joy in the face of adversity.

The second is to be present with us, through human help, support and comfort. 

We are God’s hands, feet and voices to other human being when we allow God’s unconditional love to shine through us.  This means that we must be ready to be what God needs us to be and to accept help from the most unexpected people.

Years ago travelling in white out conditions a Grandmother and her granddaughter were caught in the back seat of a car that itself was trapped in a multi vehicle accident.  It was a dangerous and difficult time, when out the left passenger window an adult who had been walking beside the cars was picked up on the hood of a car travelling through the whiteout in the opposite direction and thrown into the air.

Must later that day when all were safe at home, the Grandmother was asked how she managed to stay calm, she replied “At the point I thought all was lost I felt my 6-year-old granddaughter reach out and take my hand and  she began to pray out loud for God’s protection” I was overwhelmed with the nearness of God and that I rested in the palm of his hand.


“…when I called out to you, you answered me” Psalm 138:3

Be transformed in your times of trouble by calling out in expectation for God's help and then accepting the people God sends to help you.

And

Allow yourself to be transformed into exactly what another human being needs in their time of trouble, allowing God's unconditional love shine through you.

We belong to God and through God's acceptance of us we belong to each other.

Grandma Snyder

©2013-2017 twosnydergirls

Lectionary readings for this week Isaiah 51:1-6; Psalm 138; Romans 12:1-8; Matthew 16:13-20.

No comments: