Monday 3 July 2017

Life five minutes at a time



“If you've gotten so far behind on posting your five-minutes-of-the-day why don't you just give it up?”   

If Grandpa Snyder had asked me that seven days ago I would've considered giving up this project of four years.  Life was too hard at that point and the tasks before me overwhelming.  It was all I could do to get through each day as I walked slowly towards the final event in saying goodbye to my beloved mother.

I am thrilled to say that today posting five-minutes-of-my-day, a photographic journey is once again a labor of love and an unexpected path to healing the emotional wounds grief has left behind.

Since May 24, 2014 I have been posting a picture a day representing five minutes of that day and I capture are for the most part images that brought me joy or were beautiful moments in-and-of themselves.

At the beginning of 2017 we started to post a daily retrospective - January 1st over the past four years and so.  It has been interesting to see that over the years I’ve captured similar images, a favorite flower’s first bloom or spring runoff flooding our local rivers and images of things that bring me joy, ice cream, our grandchildren, drives through our rural community.

2016 was a difficult year and as the images that were captured remind us it was also a year of joy and I found joy again as I took the time too catch-up on my posts for the past two weeks.  Through this exercise I came to the realization that while life at times is very difficult these difficult events are not the totality of our lives - the things that define our lives.  That over the past two weeks I still found images of joy to capture through the camera lens and as I looked back over the past four years joy shines brightly in remembered moments.


I will keep taking one picture a day and posting it on our blog my Photographic Journal so that I never forget that life is not made up of events big or small but of moments, moments I choose to captured and remember in images representing 5-minutes-of-my-day.

Grandma Snyder
©2013 - 2017 twosnydergirls

No comments: