Cornmeal cake and cherries these are Grandpa’s two favourite dessert and so on the occasion of his birthday we decided to combine these two foods and went looking for sweet cornmeal recipes.
There was cornmeal dumplings, cornmeal scones, muffins and savory cornmeal cake and no sweet cornmeal recipes.
Our next search was for unusual cornmeal recipes and it was here we found Brazilian Cornmeal Cake.
This appears to be a common recipe as we found numerous recipes and You Tube videos all with similar ingredients.
We worked with all the recipes we came up with a dairy free recipe that we have now added to the family recipe book.
This cake has a wonderful custard top with a crisp cornmeal crust.
Brazilian Cornmeal Cake
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter substitute softened
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 can of cherry pie filling
- Preheat the oven to 350-degree F.
- Grease and flour a 9 x 11 baking dish.
- In a food processor combine the first six ingredients and process for three minutes.
- Add the baking powder and cheese process for another three minutes and pour directly into the baking dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted comes our clean.
- Once the cake has cooled spread the cherry pie filling on the cake and serve.
From Our Table To Yours