Noodles as a dessert?
Really, who has heard of such nonsense!
The British have and we've been missing out a most delicious dish.
We were gifted a dozen cans of cherry pie filling by a dear friend and one can only eat so much cherry pie so we went exploring.
In our exploration we happened upon some Old British recipes that made a dessert out of traditional custard and noodles, this was all we needed and off we went.
The result is Cherry Noodle Bake.
This recipe makes a 9 x 12 2-inch baking dish and would well at a potluck or as a dish for a brunch.
|In this attempt of the recipe we used only one can of cherry pie,|
1/2 in the recipe and 1/2 on top.
- 2 packages of wide egg noodles
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 packages cream cheese
- 3 cups milk
- ½ tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans Cherry Pie Filling
- 2 cups Rice Krispies
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Cook the noodles following the package directions
- Mix together the eggs, sugar, cream cheese, vanilla, salt and milk.
- In a large mixing bowl combined the noodles and the custard
- To this add 1 can of cherry pie filling and mix well
- Pour this into a greased 9x12 pan
- Melt the butter and mix the 2 can of cherry pie filling with the butter
- Spread the Rice Krispies on top of the noodles and the butter and cherries on top of that.
- Bake at 350 F for between 45- 60 minutes until the custard is set.
You can serve this hot or cold.
From Our Table to Yours