We find it very disappointing when we purchase a vegan item in the grocery store only to find salt and fillers the first three ingredients. This is where the idea for this weeks post started and we hope will end with some suggestions from you.
Using ingredients that we had on hand we experimented until we came up with a flavour we liked and a consistency that held together.
It in the area of consistency that we are looking for your help. Our bites are very delicate and while they can be dipped into a sauce and eaten by hand, they have a tendency to fall apart as well.
We do not want to add filler as empty calories are not what we are looking for – do you have any suggestions?
Remember this is a vegan recipe.
Please post your suggestions in the comments sections.
Kale Chickpea Bites
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- In a food processor finely chop
- 1 medium onion
- 1 ½ cups of finely chopped kale
- 1 can of chickpeas
- Finely shred 2 medium potatoes
- 6 tablespoons of Shawarma Marinade
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon Gluten Free Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 cup gluten free flour – we used potato flour
- 3 tablespoons chi seeds
- Olive oil
- Combine in a large bowl all ingredients above and mix until well combined. If it is too dry you can add vegetable broth a tablespoon at a time. Once you have a consistency that will hold together let the batter rest for 10 times for chi seeds absorb the liquid.
- Make small bite size rounds with the batter.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan and brown the bits just until you have a brown crunchy crust on the outside remove and set aside.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Place the fried bits onto a baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve with your favourite dipping sauce
From Our Table to Yours