We love blueberries!
Whether we have to drive to Northern Ontario to pick our own or travel to our local farmer’s market blueberries are our go to fruit.
And blueberry season is now upon us.
Today’s recipe started out as fresh blueberry pie however the heat and humidity had different plans and when we went to serve the dessert it was runny.
What to do! What to do!
It was then that we remembered Aunt Elsie once turning a runny fruit pie upside down into a large glass bowl stirring and serving what she called a Crumb. Please note this only works if your pie shell is made with graham cracker crumbs or other cookie crumbs.
So with no hesitation upside down went the pie and Blueberry Crumb came out.
Emily our granddaughter arrived the other night wanted to know if we had anymore blueberry crumb left, so it was a success.
- 2 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs (we use gluten free)
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- ¾ cup of butter or none dairy butter substitute melted
- 5 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup Clear Jel
- Mix graham crumbs and the 3 Tbsp. sugar into the melted butter and mix well.
- Press this mixture into the bottom of a 9 x 9-inch dish
- Mash 2 ½ cups of fresh blueberries (we used our food processor for this)
- Combined sugar and Clear Jel mixing well add this to the mashed berries stirring.
- Spread this over the crumb crust
- Spread the remaining fresh berries over this and lightly press into the mashed berries
- Place in the refrigerator for at least an hour
- Remove and serve.
- Now here you have a choice. If the clear gel as set up and you are able to cut into squares you can serve the dish as blueberry squares and if you want crumb take a large spoon and without over stirring mix the crust into the berries leaving large pieces of crumb.
From Our Table to Yours