The past few weeks have been stressful on our family and extended family as we wait for a loved one to heal. Comfort food always seems to be the best thing to serve at these times and Date Squares fit into this category for us. As a child I remember visiting Aunt Marjorie and sitting down to table with a glass of Niagara Dry Ginger Ale and her homemade date squares. Here is Aunt Marjorie’s recipe converted to be gluten free.
- 350 grams dates chopped
- 1 cup of water
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 3/4 cup gluten free cooking oats
- 1 1/2 cup gluten free flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons xanthium gum
- 3/4 cup butter substitute
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- In a sauce pan add chopped dates, water and 1/4 of coconut sugar bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes set aside to cool.
- Mix the remaining 6 ingredients together and divide in half.
- Grease or line an 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper
- Cover the bottom of the pan evenly with 1/2 the oats mixture and press this down
- Pour the cooled date mixture evenly on top of the pressed oats mixture
- Cover with the remaining oats mixture and lightly pat this down
- Bake at 350 F for 30 minute
From our table to yours