Vegan, gluten and dairy free!
This wonderful refreshing soup can be served either hot or cold.
The impetus for this weeks recipe was the need to use up last years beets because soon we will planting this year crop. In the refrigerator we had homemade vegetable broth from Easter, and a small head of cauliflower so off we went to the stove.
As some of you will know Grandpa Snyder likes his soup thick and this is where we decided to use chia seeds to thicken the soup while adding extra nutrients.
We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 1/2 inches of fresh ginger chopped
- 3 beets cleaned and chopped
- 1 small head cauliflower chopped
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 3 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons whole chia seeds
- Sautée the onions, garlic and ginger for 3 or 4 minutes
- In a large soup pot add the sautéed mixture, chopped cauliflower, and beets
- Cover with the vegetable broth and simmer until vegetables are soft
- Purée the ingredients in the soup pot - we use a hand blender
- Add the Balsamic vinaigrette one tablespoon at a time until you reach the flavour you like we stopped at 3 tablespoons
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To the still hot soup add one tablespoon of chia seeds at a time waiting 10 minutes before adding the next, stop when you read the thickens you enjoy.
From Our Table To Yours