Wasting food is so deplorable when all around us there are families struggling to provide nutritious meals for children. So to prevent waste when we shop we always check out the reduced produce section first and there we found a large bag of white turnips.
Knowing that for many of our readers turnip is a new experience we set out to come up with a new and interesting was to use our small white turnips. Enter my sister Carla who was vacationing recently in Mexico. She was describing a dish called taquitos and the variety of filling that they had been treated to. Here was my answer we would create Turnip Taquitos.
- 5 small white turnips
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 tomatoes seeds removed diced
- 1 lime
- 1 package of your favourite flat breads (we used gluten free)
- Vegetable oil enough to cover a 1/4 inch of your frying pan
- Your favourite guacamole recipe
- Peel both the carrots and turnip cutting into pieces, boil in water until soft
- Drain and mash the vegetable mixing in the ginger, cumin, turmeric,cinnamon, and horseradish. Set aside
- Chop and mix together the cilantro, tomatoes and onion.
- Squeeze into this mixture the juice of one lime
- Heat the oil
- Cook each taquito separately for safety
- To build place 1 1/2 tablespoons of turnip on the flat-bread and next to this 1 tablespoon of the cilantro roll the flat-bread and using toothpick to hold the roll together place carefully in the hot oil browning three sides. Carefully remove the toothpicks and brown the fold. Place in a warm oven until all of the taquitos have been made.
- Plate the taquitos with the guacamole - delicious!
From Our Table to Yours