Monday 25 January 2016

Ask Don't Assume


We have all heard the adage never assume because it makes an ass out of u and me and yet we persist in making assumptions.  

To assume something is paramount to saying I don’t care what you actual, want, desire, or you opinion is because mine is more important and for many of us we make assumptions out of a desire to do good.

Recently a well meaning member of the community was over heard to say, “… I just did what I would want someone to do for me…”  the out come of what she thought would be an act of caring was hostility.  She is a very public person and the beneficiary of her actions is a very private person.

On another occasion an assumption was made because “… I didn’t want to bother them so I just went ahead and prepared a meal” on this occasion the meal arrived only to be politely refused the family had made plans for meals what they needed was volunteer drives.

The other excuse we often hear for making an assumption is “… I only did what had to be done!” and the list is endless.  Always the person making the assumption has placed themselves in a position of authority over the other people.

It is always better to ask the question that the assumption has been created to replaced.  

There will be times the answer will be I don’t care and then feel free to assume.  

On other occasions you will hear “I don’t know?”  Be patient at these times and ask the question again.  Sometimes you have to wait on an answer.  

Be mindful of the assumptions you make for other people!

Grandma Snyder

©2013-2016 twosnydergirls

No comments: