In strawberry season there is nothing better than fresh strawberry pie and that is exactly what Great Aunt Carla served the girls upon our arrival in Saskatchewan.
She calls the recipe her pie plate recipe because it was printed on a pie plate that she received as a wedding present over 30 years ago and she has adapted it to meet her families discerning tastes.
- 3 quarts strawberries washed and hulled
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 large precooked pie shell (to make GF use a GF pie shell or a graham cracker pie shell)
- Mash 1 cup of strawberries
- In a sauce pan add mashed strawberries and 1 cup water and boil for 5 minutes
- Add cornstarch to 1/3 of a cup of water and mix until the cornstarch is smooth and add to sauce pan along with sugar
- Boil until the liquid is clear and has thicken.
- Take off stove top and let cool
- Place remaining whole strawberries in your pie crust cutting the berries where necessary to get them all in.
- Pour the strawberry glaze over top and place in refrigerator to cool
- Top with whip cream or ice cream and serve