We made this for a church potluck and the smell of parmesan cheese cooking was amazing and there were no leftovers to bring home!
- 1 ½ cups of rice or quinoa
- ¼ cup of hempseed
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium zucchini shredded
- 1 medium carrot shredded
- 1½ cups cauliflower finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cheyanne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 ½ cups almond milk
- 3 eggs beaten
- ½ cup grated Parmesan or cheese of your choice Old cheddar is also good
- Cook the rice or quinoa as per package directions
- Grease a 9 inch pie plate and spread the hempseed evenly over the bottom of the plate
- Add the coconut oil to large frying pan on medium heat
- Add the onion, and garlic and sauté for approximately 2 minutes
- Add the zucchini, carrot, cauliflower and basil and sauté for a further 3 to 5 minutes
- Remove from the heat and stir in the rice or quinoa
- In a bowl mix together almond milk, eggs and ½ the cheese
- Add the cook ingredients to the prepared pie shell
- Pour in the milk and egg
- Sprinkle the last of the cheese on top
- Bake in a 350 °F oven for between 35 to 45 minutes until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean
- We like to then place the pie under the broiler until the cheese turns brown.
- Rest the quiche for 10 minutes before eating.
This quiche can be made a day ahead and reheated without any loss of taste.
From our table to yours