|Gluten and Dairy Free|
At lunch I often walk with a good friend who is a wonderful Indian cook and in our January Good Food Box there was a large bag of carrots, so I asked Navneet how she would make curried carrot soup.
Navneet started to list the spices she would use and I stopped dead my tracks when she said “and one green banana”, I have never heard of adding a banana to soup let alone a green one.
Determined to give it a try Paul and made Curried Carrot Soup and it is wonderful, a rich yet mellow curried flavour.
Navneet has given permission for me to share this with you and while the ingredient list is Navneet’s she did not have measurement she uses taste and aroma as her measuring spoons. We had to experiment until we reach an overall flavour we liked.
- 4 cloves of garlic pressed
- 1 inch of fresh ginger pressed
- 2 teaspoons Cumin
- 2 teaspoons Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder (Navneet uses seeds I could not find seeds at our local grocery store)
- 1 small sweet potatoe chopped
- 1 small onion diced
- 7 carrots chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 green banana chopped
- Sauté the onion, garlic, banana, and ginger until the onions are translucent
- Add all of the spices to the frying pan and stir until well incorporated
- In the soup pot add the sweet potatoe, carrots, vegetable broth and the contents of the frying pan cook until your vegetables are soft
- Carefully using a hand blender blend the contents of the soup pot until it has reached the consistency you prefer smooth or chunky.
- Add the can of coconut milk and heat until the soup starts to bubble
From our table to yours