January 27th National Chocolate Cake Day
Gluten Free, Vegan
We have been reworking all of our childhood favourites to be gluten free and vegan as we seek to live healthier in our senior years.
In this recipe we have substituted maple syrup for 1 1/3 cups of white sugar, coconut butter and apple butter for 3/4 cup butter and ground chia seeds for 3 eggs.
We take our granddaughters to church on Sunday and so on Sunday afternoons our home is filled with the smells and sounds of children baking. We hope that you enjoy Sauerkraut Chocolate Cake as much as we do. Please note we do not like overly sweet cakes and we love a rich cocoa flavour so depending on your taste you may want to increase the sweetener and decrease the cocoa.
- 1/4 cup coconut butter
- ½ cup apple butter
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoon ground chia seeds and 9 tablespoons of water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup rice flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed, drained, squeezed dry and finely chopped
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar, ground chia seeds, water and vanilla.
- Combine dry ingredients together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternately with water.
- Add the sauerkraut.
- Pour into your greased cake pan or pans and bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
From our table to yours