The summer garden is now if full production, zucchini, eggplant, kale, fresh basil, fresh garlic and the tomatoes are beginning to ripen on the vines.
Inspired by Biblical Homemakings Raw italian casserole we set out to create cooked casserole using the vegetables on hand that could be served over pasta.
- 2 small eggplants chopped
- 1 medium zucchini julienned
- 9 mushroom chopped
- ¾ cup black olives chopped
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes
- 7 large Kale leaves stem as well
- 3 fresh basil leaves
- 4 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinaigrette ( to counter the natural bitter taste of the vegetables if that is a taste you do not like)
- In a food processor puree all of the ingredients in the Sauce
- Coat the bottom of your dish with a layer of sauce
- Add a the eggplant and zucchini
- Another layer of sauce
- Add the mushrooms and olives
- Top with a layer of sauce
- Cover with a lip or tinfoil and bake at 350 °F for 45 minutes or until the liquid is bubbling
- Cook your paste
- Grate your fresh Parmesan cheese
Serve the cook vegetables over your pasta and garnish with the cheese. We enjoyed the rich earthy taste of the vegetables.