There comes a time every few weeks when the vegetable crisper in the refrigerator cry out to be cleaned and this creates an opportunity to create vegetable soup. While the vegetable combination in the soup will change with what remains in the refrigerator the base remains the same.
- 2 Tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 Tablespoon dried Basil
- 2 Tablespoon garlic salt
- 3 Bay leaves
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 3 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh garlic
- 2 Tablespoons Pesto Spices
- 3 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomatoe paste
- 1 Tablespoon White wine vinegar
- 1 can 28oz. chickpeas
- 1 cup wild rice
- 5 cups vegetable broth or water
- Using the most wilted on the vegetables in a large stock pot add 5 cups of water your spices and the wilted vegetables. Place the pot on the stove to cook.
- Peel and prepare the rest of the vegetables adding all the bits that you cut off to your stock pot and placing the cleaned and chopped vegetables back in the refrigerator.
- Do not be afraid of adding cabbage, beets or turnip to your soup each adds their unique flavour making each batch of soup unique.
- We let our stock pot cook for about 2.5 hours on medium low heat, you can let it cook longer if you want.
- While your stock is cooking cook the wild rice as per directions
- Once the stock is done pour the liquid through a sieve and add the cooked vegetable matter to your compost.
- Return the stock to the pot and add your diced vegetables, tomatoes, tomatoe paste, vinegar, chickpeas and wild rice.
- Cook over medium heat until the vegetables cooked and serve with salt and pepper to taste.
From our table to yours