Foodie FridayWhile summer reigns for another 19 day we can smell fall in the air and are looking forwards to new potatoes, pumpkin pie, apple dumplings and all of the delicious foods that the fall harvest brings.
Savory tarts have always been a favourite of ours and while unhappy with the pastry this summer vegetable tart tasted wonderful and so we are offering it to you without the tart pastry recipe.
- 2 cups sliced eggplant
- 2 cups sliced summer squash, we used yellow crock neck squash
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 6 plum tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons Coconut oil
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make your favourite tart pastry (we are attempting to create a gluten free pastry that can be rolled) and set it aside in the refrigerator.
- Slice the eggplant, squash and mushrooms into ½ inch pieces and place them along with the garlic and tomatoes in a large bowl with the oil and toss.
- Preheat your oven to 450°F and place the vegetables on a greased or non-stick baking sheet, roast for 25 minutes,
- Just before the vegetables are done take out your pastry and roll it into a 13 inch circle and place this either on a pizza pan covered with parchment paper or a baking sheet.
- Once the vegetables are done pile them in the centre of the pastry being sure to leave 3 inches around the outer edge.
- Sprinkle on your grated Parmesan cheese, salt and paper (we used more than ½ a cup use your own discretion)
- Fold the sides of the circle over the vegetables creating a pastry edge.
- Return to the 450° oven and bake for another 20 minutes or until your pastry turns brown.