Sunday 3 August 2014

Finding God’s Message in Unusual Places

On a walk to the park


It was one of the weekends that our granddaughters were staying with us, and just when grandpa and I were looking to sit down for a few minutes, Ruth calls out “let’s go to the park, please Grandpa!”

As we walked the three blocks to the park Emily notices a stone laying in the gutter and picks it up.  “Grandma what does this mean?” 

Jesus is coming back soon!

My first reaction was mild outrage.  I have been struggling of late with Christian messages that use fear to motivate belief and so some reason this nonthreatening message sparked that reaction in me.


Emily quickly turns the stone over and on the other side she reads.

Are you looking for him?

I reach over and hugged Emily and I am brought to tears.  God had placed a teachable moment in both Emily’s and I path literally and figuratively.

As a hugged Emily I talked about how through Jesus God brought love and healing back into this world.  That all we have to do is look for God’s love and we can see it, the love that Jesus freely gave to us.

This was not a message of fear and damnation it was reminder to look for Christ’s love today in this very moment.  To see when Christ’s love is being offered to you and where you can offer it to others.

Later as we watched the children play Emily noticed a little girl trying to catch a balloon being blown on the wind, Emily left her play and ran after the balloon giving in back to the now crying child.  The child's mother thanks Emily and the little girl stopped crying.  

Emily looked over at me and raised the stone into the air, and my heart soared with gratitude.  Thank you Lord for this teachable moment

Matthew 25:35-40 (NIV)
35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ 40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me
 Grandma Snyder
©2013-2014 twosnydergirls

No comments: