Dad’s Scalloped Potatoes and Sausage Casserole
My father loved scalloped potatoes and while I never asked I believe he preferred them to mashed potatoes, unless the mashed potatoes were those of Aunt Marjorie.
Dad had a favourite potluck dish that incorporated scalloped potatoes, stuffing and sausage. Next to scalloped potatoes, stuffing and sausage were his favourite foods, in my opinion.
This summer we found a local 100 mile Market where we now get our vegetables and turkey sausage, an alternative to pork sausage that we prefer. The weekend we purchased the turkey sausage it was too hot to cook inside and remembering Dad’s casserole we hauled out the cast iron Dutch oven and baked it on the BBQ. Since that meal I have set out to recreate Dad’s recipe and now have a gluten and dairy free version to share with you. My recipe serves 4.
- 4 gluten free turkey sausage
- 2 cups of gluten free stuffing (you can make your own from stale bread or purchase a prepackaged version there are many goods ones on the market now)
- Add your favourite stuffing spices about two teaspoons is what I use.
- 2 1/2 cups of gluten & dairy free mushroom soup (here again you need to make your own as I have not found a product that is both gluten & dairy free)
- 2 cups of sliced mushrooms (Note mushrooms were not in Dad's recipe)
- 4 large potatoes sliced thin
- Place your potato slices on the bottom of a greased casserole dish
- Take your stuffing and moisten it in 1 cup of your mushroom soup and add your seasoning, place the stuffing on top of the potatoes
- The next layer is your sliced mushrooms
- Placing your uncooked turkey sausage on last
- Pour the remaining mushroom soup over top of this cover with either the lid or tinfoil and place in a 375 °F for 45 minutes. Take the lid or tinfoil off and return to the oven for the last 15 minutes to brown the sausage.
From Our Table to Yours