Thursday 10 April 2014

Veggie & Cheese Pudding Muffins



A Tasty Mistake

Cross Section of Veggie & Cheese Pudding Muffins

The task was to develop a recipe for a savory pancake filled with chopped vegetables and sharp cheddar goat cheese.  A pancake that could be taken in a lunch bag and eaten either hot or cold.

So it was I took 1 cup of my own gluten free flour mix and added 2 cups of chopped vegetables, broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots, 1 cup of shredded cheese, ¼ teaspoon garlic salt and 1 cup of almond milk.  And as often happens to me when I am making pancakes I had to add about ¼ cup of water to create a pourable batter.  

 Happy with my experiment so far I poured the batter into a hot frying pan greased with coconut oil the cheese stuck to the frying pan – this batter would not make pancakes!


Vegetables and block cheese
I was not going to waste the batter what could I do … and there sitting in the drying rack was the answer the silicone non-stick muffin pan.  The batter poured easily and I preheated the oven to 375 F and once the muffins were in the oven I set the timer to 30 minutes.  30 minutes later the muffins were still uncooked 15 more minutes and still the muffins were too moist in the centre.

It was too late now and I needed to go to bed so I turned off the oven and left the muffins in the cooling muffins.  If they are ruined well not all cooking experiments work out!

http://www.morningtondairy.com/

The next morning resolved to find a disaster in the oven I was surprised to find a tasty muffins that had a wet texture similar to a Yorkshire pudding.  Paul compared the taste to that of a vegetable potpie and he asked that I add a good garlic sausage to a few next time.   We both agreed that the result was not a disaster.

Today I had three of the muffins heated with a mild salsa on top the result was very tasty.
Plate of Veggie & Cheese Pudding Muffins


Ingredients:
1 cup of gluten free flour mix (use ½ of this, 1 cup almond flour, ½ cup rice flour
½ cup tapioca starch, ¼ cup coconut flour, tsp xanthan gum, 2 tsp baking powder)
2 cups of chopped vegetables, broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots,
1 cup of shredded cheese,
¼ teaspoon garlic salt
1 cup of almond milk or less if you want less of a Yorkshire pudding texture
Directions:
Mix all the ingredients together and pour into your muffin pan bake at 375 F for 60 minutes.

And I Still Need Help! 

How do you add cheese to pancake patter so that it will not stick to the frying pan?

Grandma Snyder

©2013-2014 twosnydergirls 



 

No comments: