Thursday 17 April 2014

Roasted Root Vegetables on Kale



Roasted Root Vegetables on Kale

I will admit that one of the unintended consequences of my going on a liver cleanse diet in January 2013 was that I have fallen in love with roasted root vegetables.  I eat them hot as a main dish and cold on Kale or with other hearty greens.

So today’s recipe contribution is yet another Roasted root vegetable salad.  This one I prepared for a Church Pot Luck thinking that I would bring home most of the salad and have it for lunches the next week.  Why did I think this you ask?  Well I really don’t know, somehow I thought this healthy salad would be passed over for the more traditional potatoe and macaroni salads.
Roasted Root Vegetables


Well my horror when the dish was found all but empty when I want to retrieve it from the kitchen.  Lesson for the day – Don’t under estimate your root vegetables!

Ingredients:
6 large beets, par boiled, skinned and sliced about a ¼ of an inch thick
7 medium parsnips peeled and coarsely chopped
10 to 12 large Brussels sprouts cut in half (I know not a root vegetable but so good!)
12 red radishes cut in half
12 large carrots coarsely chopped
12 to 15 mushrooms cut in half (I know not a root vegetable but they are so good!)
1 large bundle of Kale, cleaned, stems cut out and kneaded to a rich dark green colour
Roasted Root Vegetables on baking sheets

Directions:
1) Prepare your vegetables and place them in a large bowl
2) melt 1/3 cup coconut oil and add to this 3 Tablespoons of Balsamic vinaigrette
3) Pour this over the vegetables and stir until all are coated
4) Place the vegetables on a lined baking sheet (parchment paper or non-stick reusable mat)
5) Roast at 350 F. for approx. 35 minutes.
6) Cool in the refrigerator over night
7) Just prior to serving prepare the Kale
8) Create a bed of kale in the bottom a large serving dish
9) Mound your roast vegetables onto the bed of kale and serve.

Grandma Snyder
©2013-2015 twosnydergirls

No comments: