|April 2014 Good Food Box|
The Good Food Box is a community program supported by the Public Health Units in Ontario CA.
Established approximately 20 years ago the original mandate was to provide low income and the working poor with fresh fruits and vegetables through a cooperative like program.
Families pool their money and with the increase purchasing power a buyer travels to the Toronto Food Terminal and purchases in bulk. In this way the families get their fruits and vegetables for less than what they would be forced to pay at local grocery stores.
The program was later opened up to everyone increasing the buying power of the group. The Good Food Box is $15.00 per month with anyone making under $30,000 annually paying $12.00, the Public Health Unit subsidizing other $3.00 per family.
Currently our local Good Food Box outlet puts together between 118 and 120 boxes per month with approximately 30 of the boxes being subsidized.
Creamy Mushroom-Potato Bake
Ingredients (8 servings)
2 1/2 lb potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 tsp of salt
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Add 1/2 tsp. salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain and mash.
- In a large skillet, saute onion and mushroom in 2 tbsp of butter for 3-4 minutes or until just tender. Stir into potatoes along with sour cream and remaining salt.
- Spoon into a greased 2 qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese
- Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes or until heated through and golden brown.
Note: I used the leftover mashed potatoes from our Easter Feast and added the onions, mushroom, sour cream and cheese. Everyone loved them and asked for these instead of the traditional mashed potatoes. I would have included a picture only left over mashed potatoes baked mushrooms does not photograph well and it take great!
2013/2014 Good Food Box Posts
- January 20, 2014 Glazed Carrots
- December 20, 2013 we explored Foodlink Grey Bruce
- November 16, 2013 Sweet Potatoes Fact
- October 19, 2013 Pumpkin Fact
- September 24, 2013 Kale Potatoe Soup