February Hot Breakfast Foods
Oatmeal Pumpkin Pancakes Gluten Free
I love pancakes so when I found a gluten free option on the menu at the ‘The Bicycle Café’ in Flesherton Ontario I had to try them – Pumpkin Oatmeal Pancakes. The flavour and texture were wonderful.
I have thought about those pancakes often and tried many recipes with great disappointment. So I set out to create my own recipe. I remembered that the flavour was one of a savory pumpkin pie, while the texture was dense with a touch of crunch.
To get the crunch I toasted my gluten free oatmeal in 1 Tablespoon of coconut oil and to get the savory pumpkin pie flavour I used a mixture of pumpkin pie spices. I added ginger to one batch and while not my favourite at the end of the meal all the pancakes were gone!
Gluten Free Oatmeal Pumpkin Pancakes
1 cup pumpkin puree
½ cup almond milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup steal cut oats
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup gluten-free flour
½ teaspoon allspice
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon salt
1 to 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon (love this spice)
¼ to ½ teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
¼ teaspoon xanthan
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1) Mix your flour, baking soda, sugar and spices together and mix well
2) In a saucepan toast your oats until lightly brown in coconut oil (1 to 2 Tablespoons)
3) Once toasted add to the hot saucepan ½ to 1/3 of a cup of water and stir cooking for no more than 2 minutes
4) Lightly beat the eggs with a fork
5) Incorporate all of the liquid ingredients into the dry adding more milk if the batter is too thick.
6) Fry the pancakes in a greased frying pan. I found the best results when using a medium low heat.