Baked Vegetable Parmesan
Once again a cold stormy Ontario winter evening found us looking through our fridge and pantry - what to make for supper?
What did we have that needed to be used up? Well there was spinach, mushrooms, onions, garlic, a 2 inch by 2 inch square of hard and well-aged parmesan cheese, Almond milk, one bulb of fennel left over from last week’s soup and coconut oil.
At the grocery store last week I picked up Better Homes and Gardens Italian Make It Ahead magazine and didn’t I read something in there about fennel… yes I did on page 75 ‘Baked Fennel with Parmesan’ only this recipe calls for 3 bulbs of fennel and I had was one small bulb. Undaunted I used this recipe as inspiration and we dined on a very tasty, ‘Baked Vegetable Parmesan’.
3 cups of baby spinach
1 cup sliced mushrooms
4 garlic bulbs slice thin
1 onion slice thin
1 fennel bulb sliced thin
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
¼ cup almond milk
3 tablespoon coconut old
¾ teaspoon nutmeg
2/4 cup chopped almonds and walnuts
1 Tablespoon fresh chopped dill
Salt and pepper to taste.
1) Melt the coconut oil and sauté the mushrooms, garlic, onion, fennel until the onions are transparent.
2) Turn your oven on to 475 F.
3) Grease your baking dish and place the spinach in the bottom the dish
4) Mix together your almond milk, salt, pepper, nutmeg and dill
5) Pour your sautéed vegetables on top of the spinach
6) Return the pan to the stove add your nuts and sauté until they are lightly toasted
7) Add the grated parmesan to the top of the vegetables
8) Pour the almond milk and seasoning over the top and place in your oven for 15 minutes.
9) Just before eating add the nuts.
©2013 to 2014 twosnydergirls