Thursday 16 January 2014

Slow Cooker Creamy Potatoe Soup



January is Soup Month


I needed something for the first Pot Luck of 2014 at work and we were in the middle of a Winter Vortex – going to the grocery store was too much for me to even consider.
 The need for a pot luck meal sent me on a search for ingredients in our root cellar.  Potatoes were in abundance and beginning to sprout as were the onions and there was garlic.

In the fridge I found celery, cheddar cheese and cream.  So it was that I decided to make Potatoe Soup.   My next problem was that it was 10:00 pm and I did not want to get up before 6:30 am (when I normally get up).  Could I make this soup in the slow cooker … well there is only one way to find out.


Ingredients:
6 garlic cloves peeled and roughly chopped
2 onions roughly chopped
4 celery stalks roughly chopped
6 potatoes peeled and cubed
4 cups of vegetable broth (Paul and I like our soup to be thick if you prefer thinner soups add more broth)
1 cup of shredded sharp cheese
½ cup of cream

Directions:
  1.  In 2 tablespoons of coconut oil sauté the garlic, celery and onions until onions are transparent.
  2. Put into the slow cooker the, vegetable broth, potatoes and sautéed vegetables
  3. Put the slow cooker on medium heat and let cook overnight
  4. Next morning using either a food processor or hand blender (I love this piece of kitchen hardware) process everything in the pot.  You can have very creamy to chunky depending on how long you process the ingredients.
  5. About 30 minutes before you are going to serve the hot soup (I kept the soup in the slow cooker and took it to work) add the shredded cheese and cream stir and serve.
The soup was a hit at work and we made it again last night for Sunday lunch it has a wonderfully rich and earthy flavour.

So for everyone at work who asked for the recipe here it is - enjoy!

Grandma Snyder
© 2013-2014 twosnydergirls

No comments: