Beans and Kale Soup
I arrived home from a busy day at work to find the house cold and empty. Where was Paul? A quick call to his cell phone located him at mother’s house where he and Great John (Green) were making soup.
I had picked up Sustainable You Spirituality & Health 2013 and when I arrived at mother’s house Paul and Great John were preparing an adapted version of Portuguese White Bean & Kale Soup from page 39.
Paul and Great John added garbanzo beans and celery and tomatoe paste. They did not add the sun-dried tomatoes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ cups chopped onions
- 1 1/2 cups celery
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground fennel seeds
- 1 small kohlrabi bulb, diced
- 1 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1 ½ cups diced potatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 small can tomatoe paste
- 3 cups cooked white beans
- 2 cups garbanzo beans
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 5 cups loosely packed chopped Kale
- The juice of one fresh lemon juice
- 1) Chop all the vegetables
- 2) Sauté your garlic, celery and onions in the oil and salt until tender. Then add the chopped fennel and fennel seed and cook for a few minutes.
- 3) In your soup pot add the vegetable broth and cook your carrots and potatoes until tender
- 4) In a separate pot cook your kale and tomatoes until the kale is wilted and then add this to your soup pot
- 5) Once carrots and potatoes are tender add all of the other ingredients, to the soup pot and cook for about 10 minutes and serve.
From our table to yours