Sunday 4 August 2013

Camp Fires and MarshMellow Banana Cones

Camp Fires and Camping Go Hand in Hand

 
Eric  at age 11 showing off his marshmallow roasting skills

 I  started cooking over an open fire when I was 19 years old.  Every May 24th and Thanksgiving weekend for two years we traveled to Bobcaygeon Ontario where we would load our camping supplies into a motor boat and travel to Big Island.  Here we camped wherever we could land our boat and our only source of heat for cooking was a wood fire.

Like many of my generation in the 70’s I became part of the back to nature movement and taught myself to sew on a treadle sewing machine, two spin and weave cloth and to make dishes (not very good ones mind you) with clay.  I also continued to advance my cooking skills on an open fire.

I continue to cook with these wonderful pots.


So once I married, Paul and I started camping with boys and I would pack my cast iron cooking pots and while we went swimming I would have supper cooking over hot coals.  While Paul and I enjoyed the meat and potato meals, the boys loved roasting marshmallow over the fire the best. 

Eric and a friend on one of our camping trips see the cast iron tea pot it made the best tea.

Alexander age 5 and Eric age 11 it was hot dogs this night.
Alexander  age 5 about to roast his marshmallow and is Daddy paying attention :)


And more recently Emily and Ruth at the church camping weekend.  It was so hot that weekend that Ruth and Mira decided to eat under the picnic table in the shade.




Marshmallow Banana Cones

I am going to start by apologizing that I do not have photos from the Church camping trip I was not feeling the best and so taking pictures was not up there on my priority list.  Luckily Ruth agreed to stand in and we made a Marshmallow Banana Cones using the oven.

Ingredients
  1. Chocolate chips
  2. Waffle cones
  3. Miniature marshmallows or large marshmallows broken into small pieces
  4. Fresh banana cut into small pieces
  5. A piece of tin foil enough to wrap the cone and a heat source
  6. A fire works well and so does an oven a 400 F. for 10 minutes
  7. A spoon to eat it with
Assemble all of your ingredients and let the children and/or adults stuff their own cones.  At the church camping trip we had everyone create a unique tin foil sculpture on the top of their cone for identification purposes. 

For small children they are easier to eat and the portion size is smaller than the traditional Banana Boat so the adults preferred these as well.



I hope that you all enjoy remake of the Banana Boat.  


 At the end of the day I would stand at the shore and thank the Creator for the day that had past.  This picture is of Lake Huron at early sunset.
  

Grandma Snyder

©2013-2015 twosnydergirls

No comments: