We are in between the Canadian and the American Thanksgiving and so it seemed like a good time to make Turkey Soup.
We never throw out turkey or chicken bones, these go into a soup pot this celery, onions, carrots and enough water to cover everything. This then sits on the back of the stove simmer for between 8 to 12 hours. Then drain the turkey broth.
The amounts of vegetables vary dependent on what is in the fridge.
If we are not making soup the broth is poured into quart jars and frozen.
When you go to use the broth you adjust the favour.
- 1-quart turkey broth
- 4 cups water
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 large onion quartered
- 6 bay leaves
- 3 cups of cooked turkey cut into bite size pieces
- 2 cups slices mushrooms
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 4 cups cooked pasta
- In a soup pot bring to a slow simmer the turkey broth, to this add the garlic, bay leaves and onion and simmer for 3 hours.
- Remove the garlic, onions and bay leaves
- To the broth add turkey, mushrooms, peas and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add cooked paste, continue to boil for 2 minutes and serve.
From Our Table to Yours