No Bake Frying Pan Dainties
|Frying Pan Dainties|
Grandma is anyone born in 1959 still alive? This question was asked with such seriousness that Grandpa and I broke out laughing. Emily also laughed when she realized that both of us were born before 1959 and so our cookie making adventure started with laughter.
The girls wanted to go to Great Aunt Marjorie’s recipe box and find a new Christmas cookie to make. It was there that we found “No Bake Recipes” a handmade cook book but together by the Friendship Group Pioneer Memorial United Church Ipswich Road Hamilton, Ontario 1959.
Frying Pan Dainties was picked because we had all of the ingredients on hand. This is a very sweet cookie and so make your balls small or cut back on the sugar used. Here is the recipe from “No Bake Recipes”
Frying Pan Dainties
- 1 ½ cups chopped dates
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup gluten free Rice Krispies
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups shredded coconut
|1 cup sugar|
- Cut dates in half
- In a heavy frying pan add dates, eggs, sugar and cook stirring constantly for 15 minutes on medium heat. The mixture will thicken.
- Then add the Rice Krispies and vanilla and stir
- Set aside until cool enough to handle
- Place shredded coconut in a shallow dish and spoon small portions of the cooled mixture on the coconut. With a spoon roll the batter in the coconut until covered enough that you can roll into a ball.
- Store in a covered container.
|A rich sugary inside|