Growing up within a Russian Mennonite extended family there were many delicious dishes that we would only have when we went visiting.
Russian salad was such a dish.
As children we all thought Russian salad was an adult code name for emptying the refrigerator because it contains some many different vegetables and fruits and it did not matter to us because it was a favourite.
We have reworked the original recipe without loosing any flavour to meet the requirements of a healthier diet.
Our recipe is vegan.
- 3 cups of julienned Brussels sprouts, carrots and cabbage (the ratio is up to your tastes we used very little cabbage)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large potatoes cubed into bite size pieces
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 cup of peas
- 1 cup cubed cucumber
- 1 small can crushed pineapple with juice
- 2 apples cored and cubed
- 1 cup coconut cream
- ½ cup of our favourite mayo
|The ingredients without the dressing.|
- Prepare the julienned ingredients and place in a large mixing bowl
- Prepare the apple, and cucumber and add to the julienned Brussel sprouts bowl
- Add to this the crushed pineapple and juice combined
- In a frying pan sauté in the olive oil the cubed potatoes and raisins until the raisins are plump and potatoes start too brown.
- Add all of the ingredients to the other vegetables.
- Mix together the coconut cream and mayo which makes the dressing and mix this into your salad.
- Place in refrigerator for approx. 3 hours or overnight.
- Salt and Pepper individual serving to taste.
From Our Table to Your