|A gift even small children can have fun making.|
Children of all ages love to play in soap bubbles and water. As a parent and grandparent I have fond memories of my children standing on chairs at the kitchen sink washing the plastic dishes, OK really they were playing in the bubbles and water. This children's craft builds on this fun activity with the added reward of a wonderful gift to give away or use themselves.
You will need:
- a bar soap
- the foot of a nylon
- sink with warm water (Note: with older children use hot water and the felting will happen faster)
- wool roving (we purchased ours at the local wool shop)
- Let your child pick the colour of roving they want to wrap their bar of soap in. Keep the layers thin it is OK if the soap shows through.
- Place the roving covered bar of soap carefully in the nylon stocking.
- Soak the stocking in the water and then play. Rub, pat, squeeze your soap, be rough with it that is how the wool felts and this is when the children get to have fun.
- If you would like to have multiple colours, carefully take the bar out of the stocking and wrap with second colour, rep steps 1 - 3 and add a third colour if desired.
- Once done set your bars of felted soap on a rack to dry.
Note: the third layer did not felt in before the children were tired of playing. We did not worry because as the soap is being used by the recipient of the this gift it will continue to felt.
This is a wonderful craft and as I write this I can imagine an adult turning tub time with small children into craft time. Bring all of the supplies into the bathroom and let the children play in the tub while at the same time making gifts for grandparents.